Thursday, April 29, 2010

Rock-a-Bye

Thinking about Grandma Weenig today....

I was reading in the Weenig Family book about her. Their family had moved to Chicago, she was in Kindergarten or First grade and her little baby brother Earl gets Scarlet Fever. Somehow she knew about the hospital being for patients only and that he would be going there alone (if only she would have known that there were separate wards for boys and girls...)

So, I pictured her quietly sneaking into her brother's room, picking him up and rocking with him. She was a girl with a purpose, she wasn't just holding him to love him, but to get the germs...so, she could go with him to the hospital.

When I told Lucy about Grandma, she was surprised and said, "I would have just let him sleep and not gotten the germs!" Yet, she couldn't understand why Earl would have been by himself in the hospital though. I wonder if that's what ate at Grandma Weenig.

If I could paint a portrait, I'd paint the image I had in my head this morning of a little blonde Lucile McAllister rocking Earl. xoxo

F. Walter Cox and his family (Grandma Weenig's Great-Grandfather) had their house burned in Lima, Illinois by the mob in September 1845 and the family history tells of him cooking supper over the dying embers before packing up and leaving for Nauvoo the next day.

Jemima Losee Cox (Grandma's Great-Grandmother) was living in a barn due to persecution in Iowa and gave birth to her first child in the barn with the help of a stranger that "just happened" to knock at the door as she was starting labor.

Here's to family history...

No comments: